The following books, journal articles and other publications are a selected list of my works.
- Understanding the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), Fourth Edition (American Bar Association, 2013).
The Americans with Disabilities Act remains an extremely broad and comprehensive law. This book highlights various aspects of the ADA, so that by the end the reader will have an excellent overview as well as a framework for dealing with the ADA in a preventive manner. Much has changed since the last edition, most notably, the detail included in the remedies chapter.
In addition to some general thoughts, there is now a discussion about standing, when a complaint is sufficient, statute of limitations, and mixed-motive jury instructions, along with expanded discussions of disparate treatment cases, class actions, jury selection, and Batson challenges.
Expanded and new topics include:
- ADA as it relates to sports, including the Office of Civil Rights guidance on § 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- Utilizing negligence and negligence per se actions as an alternative to title III claims
- Highly detailed chapter on remedies and procedural issues
- Improved checklists and much improved litigation forms
- Understanding the Americans With Disabilities Act, Third Edition (American Bar Association, March, 2010).
This book, written from the perspective of a lawyer with a disability gives an easy to understand road map of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). It also discusses preventive lawyering with regards to the ADA. Author William Goren has a congenital bilateral hearing loss of 65-90 db+ mitigated by hearing aids and lip reading. For other reasons, Mr. Goren also uses voice dictation technology.
- Understanding the Americans with Disabilities Act, Second Edition (American Bar Association, August, 2006). Cited numerous times in various law review articles and Chapter 3 reprinted online: Concept of Undue Hardship and Reasonable Accommodation in the Employment Context.
- Understanding the Americans with Disabilities Act: An Overview for Lawyers, January 2000, American Bar Association (Solo and Small Firm Practice Section). Cited numerous times in various law review articles.
- The Americans With Disabilities Act and the Post-Secondary Student with a Disability: A Preventive Law Approach, Preventive Law Reporter, V.20, No.1, pp. 3-6 (Summer 2001).
- Preventive Law and the ADA, Preventive Law Reporter, V.14, No.4, pp.19-20,31(Winter 1995).
Americans with Disabilities Act
- Internet Addiction, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and Employment, GPSolo Magazine, Vol.32, No. 3 (May/June 2015).
- Legal Liability of Buying or Developing Inaccessible Technology, GP Solo eReport, V.4, No. 3 (October 2014).
- Expect Huge Impact from DOJ Regulations Implementing Titles II and III of ADAAA, Disability Compliance for Higher Education, July 3, 2014.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act and Employment: The Case of Coach Kill, GPSolo Magazine, V.3, No. 2 (March/April 2014).
- Service Dogs and the Rights of the Disabled, GPSolo Magazine, V.3, No. 2 (March/April 2014).
- Internet and Title III of the ADA, GP Solo eReport, V.3, No. 6 (January 2014).
- Reassignment and the ADA: Is It a Matter of Right and How Do You Prove It Up? Atlanta Bar Association Labor and Employment Newsletter, 2013 Holiday (Winter) Edition.
- ADA and the Applicable Statute of Limitation, GPSolo eReport, V.2, #10, May 2013.
- Concepts Underlying the ADA and Key Definitions, American Bar Association General Practice and Solo Section e-report, V.2, #1 (August and September 2012).
- Americans with Disabilities Act Claims: Is a Mixed Motive Jury Instruction Dead?, 24 DCBA Brief 28 (March 2012).
- Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008, 22 DCBA Brief 10 (January 2010).
- Is Your University or College's Homepage Accessible to Prospective Students With Visual Impairments? 21 DCBA Brief 8 (November 2008).
- Checks and Balances at Work: The ADA Amendments Act of 2008, published by the Illinois State Bar Association in their June 2009 Diversity Matters publication, a publication of the Women and Minority Bar section.
- Should Your Law Firm's Internet Site Be Accessible to Persons With Disabilities?, 19 DCBA Brief 22-25 (March 2007).
- The Intersection of the ADA and SSDI and the Risks of Legal Malpractice, DCBA Brief (March 2006).
- Much Ado About Something — and Something You May Not Know: The Supreme Court in Toyota Motor Manufacturing v. Williams and PGA Tour, Inc. v. Martin, DuPage County Bar Journal, DCBA Brief, V. 14, Issue 9, pp. 16-19 (May 2002).
- Flipper Flap and the ADA. December 2002 issue of the DuPage County Bar Association Journal, DCBA Brief, V. 15, Issue 4, pp. 6-8 (December 2002).
- Americans With Disabilities Act and Professional Sports: A Preventive Law approach (the Casey Martin case), Published in the Spring 1998 issue of the Preventive Law Reporter.
- On Gymnastics and Cheerleading: An Instructive ADA Case, XV The Sports Lawyer 3-4 (Spring 1997).
- Help Your Institution Avoid Some Common Mistakes When Dismissing Students with Disabilities, Disability Compliance for Higher Education, March 14, 2013.
- Prelaw Advising: We Owe It to Our Students to Get It Right, The Paralegal Educator, a peer-reviewed journal for paralegal educators published by the American Association for Paralegal Education, V. 25, #1, at pp.38-39.
- Paralegal Programs and the Americans with Disabilities Act: Some Traps, The Paralegal Educator, V. 21, No. 1, at pp. 13-14, 16 (Spring 2007).
- ADA and Paralegal Education: Current Issues and Future Dilemmas, The Paralegal Educator, V.15, No.2, at pp. 11-12 (August 2001).
- The Individuals With Disabilities Education Act, it's Interrelationship to the Americans With Disabilities Act and Preventive Law, Florida Bar Journal, July-August 1997 issue. Cited numerous times in various law reviews.
- Panelist, Reflections on the Development of Disability as a Diversity Concern in the Legal Profession, Law Practice Today (the Monthly Webzine of the ABA Law Practice Management Section) (July 2013).
- Deaf woman's eBay complaint highlights dispute over Web access for disabled, CNN, January 10, 2013
- he Long Job Search of the Disabled: Affirmative Action and the ADA, Legal Times, October 30, 1995; Texas Lawyer, June 24, 1996.
What you need to know about ADA. Click here to read my blog
If you are a member of the media interested in analysis on an ADA/Rehabilitation Act matter, or if you are looking for a speaker for an event, click here